Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thing 20: Hype vs. help

After browsing through the list of Web 2.0 Awards, I must say, it's a bit overwhelming for the Internet user to find what's useful and I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be for a site host to capture their niche market.

I took a good look at BuzzDash. According to their site, "BuzzDash is a site and tool for gauging popular opinion on a wide range of topics - from sports, movies and politics to relationships and philosophy." It looks like TIME magazine even solicits their help. But, from a researcher's point of view, I'm not encouraged by the responses. Many of these polls have very few responses, making the results less than reliable.

Perhaps these are the up-and-coming 2.0 sites. When I looked at views of videos on various winners' sites, even the greatest numbers seemed low.

1 comment:

Just Robin said...

Kathryn,

I totally agree about the "hype" aspect of these awards. There is SO much 2.0 stuff out there and how many of us really have time to wade through and determine what is legitimate, helpful, and useful?